- Product Details
- Clinical Technique
Opalescence™ PF take-home whitening gel is a professional carbamide peroxide teeth whitener in a unique potassium nitrate plus fluoride formulation for use with customized whitening trays. The whitening gel contains 20% water to prevent dehydration, and the sticky, viscous formula helps keep the gel and tray in place. With five concentrations and two flavours, patients can completely customize their whitening experience. Other features and benefits include:
- Opalescence tooth whitening gel contains PF (potassium nitrate and fluoride). Potassium nitrate has been shown to help reduce sensitivity. Fluoride has been shown to help reduce caries and strengthen enamel.
- Formulated to prevent dehydration and shade relapse
- Sticky, viscous gel won’t migrate to soft tissues and ensures tray stays securely in place
- Five concentrations with wear times from 15 minutes to overnight
- Two flavours: Mint and Regular
- Day or night wear
Indications for Use
Opalescence is recommended for whitening discoloured teeth to remove internal tooth discolourations due to congenital, systemic, pharmacologic, traumatic, etc., factors as well as aging.
Recommended concentration & wear time for orthodontic whitening (for use with aligners): Opalescence PF 10%, 8-10 hours overnight. Due to discomfort or sensitivity that can occur as a result of orthodontic treatment, avoid using this product for the first two weeks after receiving orthodontic aligners and for the first two days after each new aligner set, as whitening can increase tooth sensitivity. See the detailed Instructions for Use in the Resources tab.
Download a free set of patient-focused social graphics to help you market whitening to your patients:Free Downloads
Before & After
Before Whitening with Opalescence PF
After Whitening with Opalescence PF
Opalescence PF Quick 45% Before & After
Step by Step Guide: Opalescence PF Take-Home Whitening
Syringe one continuous bead of gel approximately halfway up the facial side of the custom tray from molar to molar. This will consume 1/2 to 1/3 of a syringe per tray. When using with aligners: Express one continuous line of gel along the lower half of the cheek side of each aligner tray. Use 1/4 to 1/3 of syringe per arch.
Insert the tray into the mouth and gently tap it to adapt the sides to the teeth. When using with aligners: Ensure that the trays are fully seated and completely engaged onto the aligner buttons. Wear time will depend on the concentration of Opalescence:
• 10%: 8-10 hours or overnight
• 15%: 4-6 hours
• 20%: 2-4 hours
• 35%: 30 minutes
• 45%: 15 minutes
If experiencing significant sensitivity, stop treatment and have patient consult with dentist.
When the appropriate amount of time has elapsed, remove tray and use a clean finger or soft toothbrush to clean excess gel from teeth. Rinse mouth out at least twice and avoid swallowing any rinsed gel.
Clean tray (or your aligner tray) with a soft brush and cool tap water. Store the tray within the case that came with the kit.
Step-by-step of how to create custom trays and instruct patients to use Opalescence PF.
- 8 x 1.2 mL Opalescence PF syringes
- 2 x Sof-Tray 0.035 5"x5" sheets
- 1 x Tray Case
- 1 x 1oz Tube Opalescence toothpaste
- 1 x 1.2 mL LC Block-Out Resin syringe
- Mint flavour available in 10% (Item Number: 706510), 15% (706513), 20% (706516), 35% (706204), and 45% (706206) concentrations
- Regular flavour available in 10% (706509), 15% (706512) and 20% (706515) concentrations
- 4 x 1.2 mL Opalescence PF syringes
- Mint flavour available in 10% (706540), 15% (706541), 20% (706544), 35% (706545), and 45% (706546) concentrations
- Regular flavour available in 10% (706539), 15% (706542) and 20% (706543) concentrations
- 40 x 1.2 mL Opalescence PF syringes
- Mint flavour available in 10% (701305), 15% (701070), 20% (701071), 35% (706205), and 45% (706207) concentrations
- Regular flavour available in 10% (701306), 15% (701068) and 20% (701069) concentrations
Q: How long do I wear Opalescence take-home whitening?
A: The length of wear time for Opalescence take-home whitening will vary depending on the patient’s unique circumstances and preferences. Patients can choose from five concentrations for treatment flexibility from 15 minutes to overnight.
Q: How does whitening work?
A: Teeth whitening works intrinsically from the inside out, so there is no need for the entire tooth to be in contact with whitening agent in order for the entire tooth to be whitened. Peroxide gels break down into water, oxygen, and free radicals, which in turn oxidizes the bonds of coloured molecules that cause tooth discolouration.
Q: How long do whitening results last?
A: While whitening results are very stable long after the treatment is over, a few factors can affect the length of the whitening results such as genetics, diet, age, medication and certain habits. The procedure may need to be redone periodically.
Q: Will whitening cause tooth sensitivity?
Q: How should I store Opalescence PF?
A: The 35% and 45% concentrations MUST be refrigerated. The 10%, 15% and 20% concentrations can be stored at room temperature.
Q: Will teeth whitening affect bond strength?
A: Even though whitening agents release a great amount of oxygen into the tooth, existing bonds are not weakened. If whitening before bonding, allow a period of 7–10 days after whitening. The high concentration of oxygen in the tooth could significantly and adversely affect polymerization of the resins.
View the Opalescence PF Product Sheet.
Articles and Case Studies
View article How I Used Opalescence Whitening Systems to Build my Practice By Dr. Jaimeé Morgan (Salt Lake City, UT).
View article Top Five Practice-Building Tips and why whitening is a major part of it. By Dr. Jaimeé Morgan (Salt Lake City, UT).
View clinical application tips in Patient Help: Dealing with Sensitivity During Whitening Treatment.
View the Opalescence PF SDS
View the Opalescence PF IFU.
Recommended Literature: Opalescence Whitening Marketing Literature for Dental Practices